The crisp crunch of beautiful #fall leaves and the cooler temperatures tell the undeniable story that #autumn is in the air. As the nights start to draw in and the days grow shorter, your choice of lighting is key this time of year. Welcome the fresh season by lighting up your #SignatureHomes space and creating a soft, warm ambiance.
You can change your Signature home’s atmosphere just by how you position the lighting and the kind of fixtures you use. Use different types of lighting depending on the room and its role.
Layer Lighting. Layer combinations of different lighting, just as you would blankets and cushions, to add depth and dimension to a room. A functional and decorative lighting scheme will almost always feature some combination of three basic layers:
– General Lighting: Also known as ambient lighting, general lighting is the main lighting source of the space, meant to spread the light to the whole area or space equally. They are used to make an interior space visible. Ceiling fixtures or large floor lamps are a great source for general lighting.
– Task Lighting: Often task lighting refers to increasing illuminance to better accomplish a specific activity. Any close-range work such as cooking, sewing, drawing, and writing should have task lighting. Table and floor lamps are the ideal way to add lighting for reading bedtime stories to your little ones in the bedroom, playing board games in the family room, and working away in your home office.
– Accent Lighting: Focuses light on a particular area or object. It is often used to highlight art and add visual interest to an object or area. Your Signature home is a reflection of you and the things you love. Use accent lights to show off a beautiful painting in your dining room, highlight a stunning family photo, or shine a little light on your favorite vacation souvenir.
Lamps. Table lamps and floor lamps are simple additions to any Signature room that can create a cozy and comfortable atmosphere while brightening up niches that need a nudge of light. Corner lamps are also very versatile – they will make your space appear bigger as they draw the eye into the corner of the room.
Switch Shades. Changing your lamp shade can have an effect on the ambiance of a room. Create a relaxing atmosphere by choosing fabric lamp shades that hide the light bulb. Lighter fabrics are better for soft lighting, as they diffuse the glow around a room much better than darker fabrics.
Bulbs Matter. Swapping out your bulbs for higher wattage can boost your mood in the fall and winter seasons. CCT (Correlated Color Temperature) defines the color appearance of a white LED and is defined in degrees Kelvin. When shopping for light bulbs, you will probably notice a warm light is around 2700K, moving to neutral white at around 4000K, and to cool white, at 5000K or more. Lower numbers mean the light appears yellowish, and higher numbers mean the light is whiter or bluer. Make sure you choosing the right color temperature bulb for your needs:
– Warm light adds a warm, cozy feel to the room, best for bedrooms and living rooms.
– Neutral light is best for areas that require energy and focus.
– Cool light is great for reading, projects, and other hobbies.
Natural Light. Maximizing the natural light that comes into your Signature home is key. If it’s a room that doesn’t need privacy, consider skipping draperies to take advantage of every square inch of light that comes in. For those requiring it, use sheer drapes but keep the heavy curtains or shutters open until nightfall. Hang mirrors on walls opposite large windows to multiply those precious fall rays coming your way.
Candles. Fall scented candles like pumpkin, cinnamon and spice will add a warm shimmer and a feeling of coziness. Flameless candles are a great option as well, giving you the mobility factor to quickly brighten up a dark corner.
Remember, what works in the living room will not necessarily work in the kitchen or the bedroom. The lighting has to reflect the functions and feel of each space. Are you trying to relax or focus? Do you want to highlight specific features of the room or are simply looking to light up the entire space evenly?
Now that we’ve covered a few fall basic lighting tips, try combining these ideas together to find the perfect lighting to keep your Signature home feeling warm, bright, and cheerful until the return of spring.
Bonus tip: As summer transitions into fall, the weather becomes perfect for comfortable evenings outside. Outdoor space heaters and fire pits are a great way to add an enchanting glow to your outdoor spaces while keeping you warm and cozy.
Be sure to follow #SigHomes on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, and visit our Houzz page as we share news and updates about our exciting new home communities as well as helpful homeowner tips. Tag us in your homeownership journey, we would love to see your #SigHomesStory and see how you are making your #SignatureHomes spaces home!