Congratulations! You’ve found a new home and are on the move. Start your homeownership adventure with a smooth and seamless moving day into your new Signature Homes with these handy tips, tricks and hacks that will have you moving and packing like a pro!
General Moving Tips:
– Make a ‘Packing Supplies’ basket with packaging tape, labels, scissors, Sharpies, a screw driver, baggies, and a utility knife.
– Find free moving boxes online from neighbors or local stores.
– Color-code your boxes by room so you will know exactly where everything goes.
– Label your boxes on the side so when you stack them, you will always be able to see what’s inside.
– You can number the boxes to eliminate the mystery of missing boxes.
– Cut down on boxes by making all of your baskets, laundry bins, hampers, and suitcases work for you.
– Pack a small bag with all of your basics in case you don’t unpack everything the first day.
– Pack the items you will need first in a clear plastic bin.
– Use Ziploc bags for small items like screws to make reassembly a breeze.
– Use a Moving Day App.
– Give your friends who help you move first dibs on anything you originally planned to sell or donate.
– Use masking tape to place a large X on your mirrors and glass frames. It won’t prevent it from breaking, but it will absorb shock and keep the glass in the frame in the case that it is dropped.
– Find empty spaces, stretch wrap pillows and blankets to your couch, it will protect and utilize space.
– Snap a photo of how your electronics are connected so you can remember where all the wires go.
– Keep wires organized by wrapping each cord up and stuffing it inside an empty toilet paper roll.
– Remove any bulbs before packing your lamps.
– Let your computer acclimate itself to room temperature before plugging it in.
Bed & Bath
– Slide clothes on hangers directly into garbage bags.
– Roll up your clothes vs. folding to save room.
– Vacuum seal your out-of-season clothing.
– Put a cotton ball or pad in your makeup compacts so they don’t break.
– Avoid messy explosions by covering all bottles of liquid (shampoo, cleaning supplies, etc.) with plastic wrap before putting the top on.
– Designate a box for sheets and towels plus basic overnight essentials so that you won’t have to rummage through boxes for these essentials the first night in your new home.
– Pack plates on end vertically like records or stack with Styrofoam plates in between one another.
– Double duty. Wrap your breakables (dishes, glasses, etc.) in clothing or blankets and sheets to save on bubble wrap.
– Ask local stores for wine boxes to use for glassware.
– Pack your glasses and stemware in clean socks.
– Wrap silverware trays and appliances in plastic wrap.
– Use Ziploc storage bags to pack your utensils and spices.
– Put towels underneath heavy furniture to avoid ruining floors.
– Use suitcases for your heaviest items, the handles and wheels will make for easy transportation.
– Cut handles into the sides of cardboard boxes for easy lifting.