Congratulations! You’ve found a new home and are on the move. Start your homeownership adventure with a smooth and seamless moving day into your new Signature Homes with these handy tips, tricks and hacks that will have you moving and packing like a pro!
General Moving Tips:
– Make a ‘Packing Supplies’ basket with packaging tape, labels, scissors, Sharpies, a screw driver, baggies, and a utility knife.
– Find free moving boxes online from neighbors or local stores.
– Color-code your boxes by room so you will know exactly where everything goes.
– Label your boxes on the side so when you stack them, you will always be able to see what’s inside.
– You can number the boxes to eliminate the mystery of missing boxes.
– Cut down on boxes by making all of your baskets, laundry bins, hampers, and suitcases work for you.
– Pack a small bag with all of your basics in case you don’t unpack everything the first day.
– Pack the items you will need first in a clear plastic bin.
– Use Ziploc bags for small items like screws to make reassembly a breeze.
– Use a Moving Day App.
– Give your friends who help you move first dibs on anything you originally planned to sell or donate.
– Use masking tape to place a large X on your mirrors and glass frames. It won’t prevent it from breaking, but it will absorb shock and keep the glass in the frame in the case that it is dropped.
– Find empty spaces, stretch wrap pillows and blankets to your couch, it will protect and utilize space.
– Snap a photo of how your electronics are connected so you can remember where all the wires go.
– Keep wires organized by wrapping each cord up and stuffing it inside an empty toilet paper roll.
– Remove any bulbs before packing your lamps.
– Let your computer acclimate itself to room temperature before plugging it in.
Bed & Bath
– Slide clothes on hangers directly into garbage bags.
– Roll up your clothes vs. folding to save room.
– Vacuum seal your out-of-season clothing.
– Put a cotton ball or pad in your makeup compacts so they don’t break.
– Avoid messy explosions by covering all bottles of liquid (shampoo, cleaning supplies, etc.) with plastic wrap before putting the top on.
– Designate a box for sheets and towels plus basic overnight essentials so that you won’t have to rummage through boxes for these essentials the first night in your new home.
– Pack plates on end vertically like records or stack with Styrofoam plates in between one another.
– Double duty. Wrap your breakables (dishes, glasses, etc.) in clothing or blankets and sheets to save on bubble wrap.
– Ask local stores for wine boxes to use for glassware.
– Pack your glasses and stemware in clean socks.
– Wrap silverware trays and appliances in plastic wrap.
– Use Ziploc storage bags to pack your utensils and spices.
– Put towels underneath heavy furniture to avoid ruining floors.
– Use suitcases for your heaviest items, the handles and wheels will make for easy transportation.
– Cut handles into the sides of cardboard boxes for easy lifting.
For more design and decor ideas that inspire the way we live, visit our Signature Homes Design Inspiration Pinterest Board and view our projects and ideabooks on Houzz!
Be sure to follow Signature Homes on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram as we share news and updates about our exciting new home communities as well as helpful homeowner tips.